April 21, 2015
10 Commandments for Young Professionals
by Tony Canas
Young professionals in insurance need to find the right mentor, make the right friends, network with the right people and...well, read the list.
- Thou shalt start working on CPCU right away, and join the society.
- Thou shalt network often both in the company and in the industry.
- Thou shalt seek at least one mentor.
- Thou shalt never think of thyself as an hourly employee; for young professionals, that is merely a temporary condition.
- Thou shalt honor traditions while always challenging the status quo.
- Thou shalt make friends in IT and claims and with the admins of the leaders you admire.
- Thou shalt always keep an up-to-date LinkedIn profile.
- Thou shalt read the Insurance Journal, PC360, National Underwriter, Insurance Thought Leadership and a trade journal for your corner of the industry.
- Thou shalt never bad mouth insurance in public.
- Thou shalt encourage other talented people to join our industry.
- A bonus one: Thou shalt follow Tony Canas on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn!